It all started with the vanishing of Kojima’s name and Kojima Productions logos from the updated images of Metal Gear Solid 5 (MGSV) on the game’s website on Thursday. Rumours shot through the game community everywhere as “A Hideo Kojima Game” had been an intensive part of the Metal Gear Solid series for about 30 years. A few hours later internet was over-flowing with tweets and posts of what people interpreted the cause of this action was. Most of them came to conclusion that it was a result of a feud between Kojima and Konami Digital.
Later that day these rumours were confirmed by an insider. “After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December,” the source said to ‘Gamespot’. He also said that the Konami changed the employee status of some of the senior staff converting them from permanent full time employees to contract employees.
Contradicting this, the company offered a statement to IGN, indicating that Kojima was not leaving, “Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements.”, it reads.
Hours after the news hit the gaming world, publisher Konami announced that it has started working on the next Metal Gear Solid game for which it is conducting “auditions for main staff to lead the development,”. The company again avoided saying anything specific about Hideo Kojima’s future with them though they issued a statement promising to continue work on the franchise.
In response to recent events, we have released a joint statement with Hideo Kojima. Please read further here @ http://t.co/uovTzncmA8
— Konami (@Konami) March 20, 2015
“Konami will continue to develop and distribute top-quality content in the Metal Gear series following Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain. We greatly anticipate and deeply appreciate your ongoing support for Metal Gear.”, it stated.
In the same statement the company quoted Kojima. “Hideo Kojima stated, “I want to reassure fans that I am 100 percent involved and will continue working on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; I’m determined to make it the greatest game I’ve directed to date. Don’t miss it!”.” it reads.
“In addition, Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. will continue to develop and distribute top-quality content in the Metal Gear series following “MGSV: TPP.” We greatly anticipate and deeply appreciate your ongoing support for Metal Gear.As the next step in the series, Konami has already resolved to develop a new “Metal Gear” title.We will be conducting interviews for main staff to lead the development.” they added.
Though none of the official statements imply Kojima and Konami’s feud or its effect on the future of the franchise, but gamers everywhere are already reading between the lines and jumping to rabid conclusions.